Tuesday 1 November 2011

Stash-busting Attempt #2- Car blanket

I tried, but I just could not see me ever wearing Corinne.  The yarn just doesn't do anything for me.  But that meant that it would be true for ANY garment I made from the yarn (and I don't know anyone who would value a knitted garment enough to put hundreds of hours of work into something I don't like).

So here is a final view of Corinne before it goes to the lilly pad in the sky.  You can see how the short rows are starting to shape the garment (top is to the left, front left side is the top).

Corinne just prior to frogging

Instead I am going to make a blanket for my car.  It's simple- I'm using the Ten Stitch Blanket pattern.  It's useful- I find having a blanket of any sort along the back window makes it much easier to find your car in a large parking lot, particularly if your car model and colour is a popular one!) And it is the perfect use for yarn that you are not fussed about- while I know from experience that acrylic baked in a car window for 5+ years will get a little yuck, the fact that this is only 50%, plus the fact that I just want to do something to make a nice big hole in my stash.

So here is the progress so far- one afternoon's knitting (it was that or do some cleaning and sorting but I have a cold so need to rest :P ).  Nice and simple on the straight bits and not too complicated on the corners.  Keeping the length of the straight is a little tricky but I think that it won't be too much of a problem as it gets bigger (one row off is a reasonable % of the inner sections but only a drop in the ocean for a longer straight section further out).  And the yarn knows I don't love it- despite the fact that mohair is notorious for being a pain in the butt to frog, this one is acting like it is a plain yarn!  It knows that at the first sign of trouble I'm going to cut it off and toss it vs waste hours of life and grey hairs in untangling it.

Ten Stitch Blanket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! But spammers, not so much. Hence why it will take a day or so for comments to appear.