Thursday 3 November 2011

Cute owls for kntted projects and how to make your own motifs

While mucking around with some ideas I decided to try making a little owl to swiss darn onto a project.  It was an interesting challenge and I thought I would share the process in case someone wants to try it themselves.

Step 1 is to find some suitable graph paper.  Knitted stitches are not square the way that cross stitch fabric.  This means that if you use square graph paper to make your design, it will appear squashed when used on knitting.  Fortunately, there are many options available online.  I went with a great website, ABCs of Knitting, that gives the option of creating customisable graph paper (click on the 'Actual Sized Graph paper' under Software Library in the menu on the left of the page).  If your project you want to embroider is already made, measure the number of rows and stitches per 4 cm- mine was 12 x 16.  I printed the resulting graph paper and used it to create real size designs- this also has the advantage of being able to check the size on your knitted object, but more on that later.

Step 2 is to make your designs.  I had had fun playing around with ideas in a sketch book so I tried a few ideas out.  As you can see, while I first thought of trying to do a tree would be nice, my first attempt didn't really work because of the scale involved.
So I tried a different approach and made a little owl (I love owls!) 

Since I wasn't sure what size would work best I made two, one slightly larger than the other.  And here is the sneaky part- by cutting out the design, I can then place it onto the project to see exactly how it will look before picking up a needle.
Of course now I've done so, I'm still not sure which one I will use.  And due to other issues (let's just say I'll talk about it more in a future blog post!) I may end up frogging part of my secret knitted project and end up doing something totally different.

But since the owls are cute, here is the pattern in case someone else wants to use them (if you do, I'd love to see a picture!)  I've made it in a cross stitch program, which is why they will look a bit tall and skinny.
Small Owl Knitting Motif

Larger Owl Knitting Motif



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! But spammers, not so much. Hence why it will take a day or so for comments to appear.