Wednesday 12 October 2011

Mutant squares- aka flowers!

As a beginner to crochet, there are many many things I am still learning.  I'm still at the stage where I need to go look up what a stitch is.  And there I hit my first problem- not everyone speaks the same language when it comes to crochet.  Specifically, there is a difference in terms between those from the UK and those from the US.  Below is a table that compares the terms (from about.com's very useful page)
British vs American English Crochet Patterns
British English USA - American English
double crochet (dc) single crochet (sc)
half treble (htr) half double crochet (hdc)
treble (tr) double crochet (dc)
double treble (dtr) treble (tr)
triple treble (trtr) double treble (dtr)
miss skip
tension gauge
yarn over hook (yoh) yarn over (yo)
See the problem?  If your pattern asks for trebles and double crochet's like mine, what stitch should you do?  Now if your pattern is known to have come from one of these lovely places, no worries.  But I'm not sure if the rule holds if your pattern comes from Australia (and possibly Canadians have the same problem).  Here in Australia we have a bit of a mixture when it comes to influences.  Being a former colony of the UK, there is a strong UK influence in our spelling for instance (colour, optimise, aluminium are just a few examples).  But a significant proportion of books, tv shows and movies come from the US.

So when I first started the Juliette scarf I took a guess as to what to do- and I choose poorly.  Instead of little squares I ended up with this:
Mutant squares

This should not be taken as a slur on the pattern- even with my confusion about terminology I had to make a major mix up to get what I got.  But on the plus side, the small ones look like pretty flowers, don't they?  Once I realised what was wrong I frogged some of these to recycle the thread (that DMC Perle cotton is lovely but not the cheapest stuff in the world).  But two I didn't have the heart to so I gave them to Mum for card embellishments (they would also look pretty as decoration on a garment or perhaps a hair clip).

So here are my instructions for making mutant squares- also know as little crochet flowers.  I am going to use UK stitch terminology.

Make a chain of four and join the ends together to form a loop.
Round 1
Make a chain of three (this counts as one treble) and then stitch 12 trebles into the loop you made.  Join with a slip stitch into the third chain of three to make a circle of crochet.
Break off yarn and change colour for next round
Round 2
Make a chain of four. * Into the next treble of the previous round make two trebles and a double crochet, into the next treble make one double crochets and two trebles.  Make on treble in the next treble**  Repeat from * to **  twice.  In the second last treble make two trebles and one double crochet.  In the last stitch make one double crochet and two trebles and join to third chain of three to make a round.

Sew the ends in and you have your flower.  Hope this makes sense- since I am a near beginner at crochet I apologise in advance if the pattern is confusing.  Feel free to email me or leave a comment if you would like anything explained.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! But spammers, not so much. Hence why it will take a day or so for comments to appear.