Tuesday 26 July 2011

Knitted Rose Broach

Or, why some patterns should just not be made.

Knitting is a wonderful craft.  If you think about it, the fact that you can take two sticks and a bit of wool or string and make anything from a delicate lace shawl to a jumper to a pair of socks is quite amazing.  But there are some knitting projects out there that just don't work.  I'm not talking disasters where the tension wasn't right so you produce sleeves more suited to an orangutang than a human or

Jumpers with large images on the front (I think most children from the 80s will relate to having these inflicted on them at some point).  Clothing made in the most eye watering bright clash of multiple colours.  Tops made of yarn so warm that they can only be worn in Antarctica without the owner melting.  And things like this broach.

Now I've seen some jewellery that uses knitting that I think might be great (I have a few queued in my Ravelry queue such as Sea Lace).  But personally, anything that uses large knitted flowers just don't work.  This flower was a kit that came with Simply Knitting, Issue 82 July 2011.  I am trying to break my bad habit of having magazine kits sit around untouched for years (to the point that I loose the magazine they came from) so thought I'd make this up this morning.

The Knitted Rose Broach
The kit and magazine give four different options the materials can be used for- two knitted flower broaches and two crochet flower projects (a headband and a pouch).  I choose to make the rose broach but I think most of the issues would be common for all four projects. 

First issue- the colours.  The pink in particular is a very very very Barbie pink colour.  I am not into pink at the best of times and even as a kid, Barbie pink was more likely to induce shuddering than glee. 

Second issue?  The yarn is REALLY thick!  As a result anything made from it is going to be large.  Great if you are making a jumper and want it to be thick and quick work, terrible for something like jewelry that to me should be delicate and pretty.  The rose ended up being 6-7 cm in diameter.  The length from leaf tip to leaf tip on the finished item was about 11 cm- far bigger than anything I would choose to wear.

Another view along with the magazine issue in question.
The rose also doesn't look all that rose like- if it wasn't for the leaves I'm not sure you would know you were looking at a rose and not just a weird spirally thing.  Now in the interests of fairness and disclosure, after studying the picture after I made mine I think I have the wrong side facing out.  But frankly, after looking at pictures in the magazine I don't think there would be that much difference.

So, are all knitted flowers a waste of time and effort?  Hmm, not sure.  It might be a fun idea to play with if I find the time.  How might flowers be improved?  Well for starters, I'd find some nicer colours.  I'd also scale the size down both in terms of yarn and the finished product.

Any other ideas?  Feel free to leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! But spammers, not so much. Hence why it will take a day or so for comments to appear.