Friday 8 July 2011

Jump ring chain maille

A few weeks ago I ordered a couple of books (among other things) from http://www.beadsonline.com.au/ (no I don't work for them, get paid by them or am even known by them with the exception as a one time customer!)  The books are a small booklets published by Artistic Wire and called 'The Basics of Chain Maille' and 'Advanced Chain Maille'.  You'll never guess what they are about...

I like beading and wire stuff but I've only dabbled a bit (I made one byzantine chain once including making the rings but that's it).  Since the first book could be bought with a bonus couple of packs of rings I thought 'Woo hoo, making rings was boring'.  And since I was buying anyway, why not get the advanced book too...  But when it came to making something I didn't want to waste the 'good' rings on, I dug out some cheap and cheerful $2 shop jump rings to practice with.

After careful consideration of the booklets (each describes how to do four different chain maille weaves) I decided to jump straight to the advanced book.  Foolish?  Possibly, but I like a challenge.  So here is my first attempt- a Japanese 12-in-2 'flower'.  It's a bit loose.  Turns out when they talk about the gauge for rings, it really does matter for some weaves, particularly when dealing with two different sized rings.  While the book suggested two rings, one with an internal diameter of 4.3mm and the other 2.8, my rings were closer to 6 and 4.  You can see in the hanging up version how it doesn't hold it's shape well as a result.  But I might see if my cardmaking Mum is interested in using it for a card decoration.

One other little tip- my super cheap and easy holder for maille.  There were a few times when I was working that I really wished I had another hand for a second to hold the work in progress while I opened a ring or tried to work out what I was up to.  So I made a holder- take an eraser and a T-pin (you can find them with the pins in the sewing section of your favourite craft/fabric shop).  Stick T-pin in eraser and you have your holder- the T-junction of the T-pin is really useful to hang stuff off.  Now I'm off to try a few other things from the book.  Or maybe the net.  Or perhaps I need to go buy some more rings...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! But spammers, not so much. Hence why it will take a day or so for comments to appear.