Sunday 17 July 2011

First experiments with free motion quilting

Since I bought a new sewing machine, I've been wanting to find more sewing projects to get my money's worth out of it!  One thing I've always admired but never really gotten into before is quilting.  The only quilt I've made has been a small 1m square art quilt (that I really should do a post about later).  It was made on my old (evil) sewing machine and was quilted using straight lines and a walking foot.

But one of the things I have discovered in my internet wander in search of quilt information was the idea of free motion quilting.  In particular, the awesome Free Motion Quilting Project which has hundreds of different ideas for quilting.  So I bought myself a free motion foot and sat down today for the first quick play.  Below are attempts #1 and 2:  an attempt at Bamboo and Stomach Lining from the Free Motion Quilting Project's large repertoire.


Hmm, I think I'm going to need to do a little practice before sitting down to try a quilt!  Also, trying to free motion on material with a bit of stretch in it (offcuts from a skirt I made last week) adds an extra challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! But spammers, not so much. Hence why it will take a day or so for comments to appear.