Sunday 19 June 2011

Bag organiser finished!

Or if you prefer, the alternate title: It's not a mistake, it's a feature...





The organiser consists of a large inside pocket and then three smaller pockets on each side at the bottom for smaller things.  I was planning on having both black sides facing out but I wasn't paying a lot of attention when adding the three pockets.  After a careful consideration of my options (unpick a lot of stitching or make do) I decided that it was a design feature cleverly planned to make it clear which side is which when digging in the bottom of the bag.  It also lets you see the contrast fabric.  See? I did it just for you, blog readers!

There is a truth that you should never examine anything you make closely- you will always see things that are wrong.  Not being much of a seamstress, there are many flaws. In hindsight, using heavy interfacing on the large pocket did make things very awkward when sewing- particularly at the end when I was adding the bias tape around the bottom corner (there was lots of layers of fabric, seam and interfacing at the two bottom corners).  Some of the stitching would definitely not give me marks from my old textiles teacher!

I think the idea of an organiser is a great one and could be easily adapted to any size bag.  It's great if you have a big cavernous bag that things disappear to the bottom of on a regular basis.  And if you like to swap bags on a regular basis it gives you a simple way to swap stuff from one bag to another fast. I think I'll try designing my own down the track once I get a better feel as to what I need in my great cavernous bag of mystery on a regular basis (I'm thinking that small pockets for each of my gadgets might be good- phone, ipod, ebook plus other general essentials).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! But spammers, not so much. Hence why it will take a day or so for comments to appear.