Friday 5 August 2011

Summerflies- knitted lace

I've been at uni all week so my crafting output has decreased.  I am working on a stumpwork embroidery piece but I've a few flowers left to do before finishing it so instead here's a post showing off something I made earlier.

Summerflies finshed and blockedCloser view of Summerflies
 The pattern is called Summerflies and is a free pattern produced by Holly and Ella Knits.  It is a fabulously well written pattern and the different types of lace in the bands mean you don't get bored knitting massive swaiths of the same pattern.  It also knits up incredibly fast- I made this in just 4 days!- which makes it a great pattern if you are looking for a great gift pattern.  I give it 5 stars and a virtual chocolate brownie.

The wool I bought on holiday in Scotland.  I highly recommend buying wool when on holiday if you are a knitter or crocheter- you have the double fun of wool shopping with holiday souvenir shopping.  And when you get home and make it up you get to remember your holiday as you work and whenever you look at your finished project.  The wool was North Ronaldsay Yarn, in the colour Skye Marble that I bought in a little shop on the Isle of Skye.  It's a gently mottled green sort of colour that the photos don't really do justice.  Only grumble about the wool is that it's a little itchy, not a great thing for a scarf.

The only issue I had making this is that it's not QUITE long enough for my tastes.  I had to cut the number of rows down a bit which meant that ideally it would be about 5-10 cm longer from tip to tip I estimate.  It was a good thing I did, however, as I finished it with only a 20 cm length from the skein- it wasn't as if I could pop back over to Scotland to get more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! But spammers, not so much. Hence why it will take a day or so for comments to appear.