Monday 8 August 2011

Snowflake Peacock blanket

Snowflake Peacock finished! by Kelshandra
Snowflake Peacock finished!, a photo by Kelshandra on Flickr.
Another old project since I'm too much caught up in assignments to make anything right now. This is the Snowflake Peacock lace shawl/blanket (it depends on what thickness of yarn you use).  I used Patons Australia Big Baby 3ply wool, both because it is lovely and soft and because I wasn't sure how much I would need and it's about the only commercial type of yarn that is readily available here in that sort of weight.

The pattern is another free one!  Snowflake Peacock (link is to yahoo group- membership in group required for access to this and other patterns) was designed by Mmario who has designed many lovely lace patterns (mostly round), many inspired by fantasy series (such as the Pern series, by Anne McCaffrey and the Valdemar series of books by Mercedes Lackey- both old favourites of mine).

I love knitting lace- the only downside of round shawls is that I don't really wear shawls (I'd love too, I just don't know how I could pull it off) and round shawls need to be folded to wear.  The other downside is that knitting in the round means the rows get really long the more you do which can get monotonous.  Particularly when you get to the repeated rows of the long part of the feathers in the third rim of the pattern.  On the plus side though, knitting in the round means you don't need to do purl rows (I don't know why but I prefer knit rows to purl).

Next bigish project is about 3/4 done and still on the needles (it's a vest- I'm venturing into the dangerous world of clothing again) but after that I think I might go for another lace project.  It's so pretty, after all...  Any suggestions would be welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! But spammers, not so much. Hence why it will take a day or so for comments to appear.