Sunday 23 December 2012

Modifying a beaded tree

First of all, I have to warn you I'll not be talking about how to make the tree itself.  This tree was a kit I bought from the last Melbourne craft convention (their shop link is here) that comes in a with and without bead decorations version.  This is about how I modified mine in order to have some lights built into the tree.


The lights were just some simple LED lights that run off two AA batteries.  Best time to get them would be just after Christmas in the sales so if you are thinking of making a tree, now is the time to plan your shopping!  I got mine from Kmart but I've also seen them in the Reject Shop and similar as well.

Assembly with the lights is fiddly- if you had a second pair of hands or a clamp it might help, otherwise just take your time and have your branches organised.  The tree is assembled as in the instructions but you include the LED lights in as well, starting with the end furthest from the battery pack.

As you move down the tree, gradually include each LED, wrapping the excess wire along the trunk.  Work out how many LEDs you need as you go (my tree had 9 rows of branches so it works out to 'Twoish' per row).  Once you finish the tree then wrap the wire in the floral tape until your tree is the right height and mount the tree on the box as per the instructions.  If you were fancy you could rig a way to hide the wire but I find I can fit the battery pack into the box anyway and the wire can run around under the lid.


I really like the finished effect, if I do say so myself.  Particularly how the bead decorations catch the lights.

The lantern is another Pinterest inspiration.  Fill a lantern with baubles for a simple decoration.  I just added some more LED lights in there to brighten it up a bit.  The lights are powered by the battery pack hidden under the paua shell in the first image.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! But spammers, not so much. Hence why it will take a day or so for comments to appear.